In September 2006, Castle Harlan, together with its affiliate CHAMP Private Equity, the Sydney-based private-equity investment firm, acquired Great Western Malting, Canada Malting Company, Barrett Burston Malting and a 60 percent interest in Bairds Malt to create United Malt Holdings ("UMH"), one of the world's largest producers of malt for use in the brewing and distilling industries. The businesses were acquired from Conagra Foods Inc of the United States and Tiger Brands of South Africa. The remaining 40 percent of Bairds Malt was acquired in 2007. UMH has revenues in excess of $400 million and has approximately one million tons of annual malt production capacity from 14 plants in four countries. It operates in the United States, trading as Great Western Malting; Canada, trading as Canada Malting Company; Australia, trading as Barrett Burston Malting and the United Kingdom, operating as Bairds Malt. UMH is a leader in its industry, serving many of the world's largest brewers and distillers.
Representative Past Investments
- IDQ Holdings, Inc.
- Pretium Packaging, LLC
- Baker & Taylor
- Securus Technologies, Inc.
- AmeriCast Technologies, Inc.
- United Malt Holdings
- Bravo Development Inc.
- Polypipe Group
- Horizon Lines Holding Corp.
- Ames True Temper
- Austar United Communications Limited
- Morton's Restaurant Group, Inc.
- Land 'N' Sea Distributing, Inc.
- Universal Compression, Inc.
- US Synthetic Corporation
- McCormick & Schmick Management Group
- INDSPEC Chemical Corporation
- Smarte Carte Corporation
- MAG Aerospace Industries, Inc.